Thursday, July 26, 2012

Not my project, but I've contributed!


The site will tell you all you need to know, but the takeaway is that the Peacock Dress is a work in progress; Catharine Hay of England is reproducing it stitch by stitch as a fundraiser for rebuilding after that huge earthquake in Haiti.  

I actually saw this dress when it was on loan to the Met Museum several years ago.  I don't remember it, but I must have seen it -- I snapped an illicit picture of it with my phone, so I must have been impressed to risk the wrath of the Costume Institute security guards!

She is teaching a class at Costume College about how to make the metalwork embroidery peacock feathers; I don't embroider, but am terribly excited to take the class and learn how -- and also to meet Catharine!  She is the reason why I know about Costume College, and has joined the ranks of My Personal Heroes.


No comments:

Post a Comment